Return to All Blog Posts >>
52 Weeks: #13 Bean Bag Toss
The bean bag toss is always a fun game, but add that with exercise for both you and your children and it is a win-win game all around. This Stroller Runner game provides three major benefits for your children by allowing them to: 1) work on their numbers and counting; 2) work on gross motor skills while throwing the bean bag; and 3) exercise – performing the exercises just like mommy and daddy.
This game originally inspiration came from Kids Activities Blog.
Target Age Group: 2-5 years old (children must be able to count)
How to Play:
- Give your child a bean bag or an equivalent toy to toss (e.g., an old stuffed animal).
- Have your child toss the bean bag/toy ahead of you.
- Dash with the stroller to the bean bag/toy.
- Do an exercise of your choice (e.g., 5 air squats). While you are performing the exercise, have your child(ren) count the number of exercises you have done. Provided below are suggested exercises.
- Then pick the bean bag up.
- Run for a couple of paces, have your child re-throw the bag and then do an exercise of choice (e.g., 10 jumping jacks) or when you “pick it up”.
- Repeat the process until you go through your exercises.
5 Suggested Exercises
- 5 air squats. Stand behind your stroller with your hands on the handlebar shoulder-width apart. With your feet and knees forward, squat down as if sitting on a chair, keeping your weight in your heels and your knees directly above your ankles. (Be careful not to put weight on the stroller; you don’t want it to tip.) Squeeze your rear end and return to the starting position.
- Side shuffle. Stand behind the stroller and turn to the side. Holding handlebar with one hand push stroller forward with a side step. As you get the hang of this you can increase your speed and move into a shuffle position. Make sure to keep control of stroller at all times.
- 10 lunges (5 per leg). Stand behind your stroller with your hands on the handlebar shoulder-width apart. Lunge forward with one leg, pushing the stroller out in front of you. Your knee should be directly above your ankle and your thigh parallel to the ground. Return to the standing position and lunge with the other leg.
- 10 pushups. Situate yourself in front or to the side of the stroller with your hands shoulder-width apart on the ground, and place your knees on the ground. Make sure your torso is in a straight, diagonal line from your head to your knees.
- 5 burpees. Situate yourself in front or on the side of the stroller. From a standing position, drop down vertically and place both hands on the ground on either side of the foot. In one clean motion, take both feet back, so you are now in a pushup position. In one clean motion, bring the feet back to between the hands. From the bottom position, rise up tall and return to a standing position.
Warning: This game produces a lot of stares.
Preparation Time: 0
Disclaimer: Before incorporating any of these Stroller Runner Games, please ensure you warm up properly and stretch to avoid any injuries.
For more Stroller Runner Games, please see the posts below.